Tuesday, July 14, 2009

China-Travel Journal Day 11 November 8, 2005

Travel Journal - Day 11

Day 11. Every day, more breakthroughs. Even though she would have nothing to do with me last night when she was ready to sleep, she let me bathe her this morning. Chris got the bath started and then snuck out half way through. She barely noticed. We had fun splashing and playing. When she was done she let me put a towel around her and lift her out. This may not sound like much, but I have been trying to do this for the last 3 days. Finally she is starting to trust me.
Today we dressed her in her Chinese outfit. It is adorable and almost makes up for the gigantic tumor just over her lip. We have been putting Neosporin on the mighty zit but it refuses to yield. It looks like it must hurt quite a bit but she does not seem bothered. We wore the special outfit because today is picture day! After breakfast we all met in the lobby to take photos. What a zoo! It was really wonderful to see so many new families. It was kind of surreal as this was a moment many of us have read about and thought about for long, long time. Seeing all those beautiful babies on the couch was awesome. What a bunch of beauties, with personalities to boot!

At breakfast time I had to run back up to the room to get her bib. I am always forgetting the bib. (Also known as "the trough.") On my way back down the elevator an older Chinese business man saw the bib and asked me if I had adopted a baby. He wanted to know if it was hard to do. He said that he had a son in California and that he and his wife were having trouble conceiving. He wondered if I thought his son should consider an adoption from China. Naturally, I highly recommended it! He wanted to know if we got to choose the baby. I assured him that even though the matching is done at the CCAA that everyone got exactly the right baby!

After pictures I went with my new friend Amy (Taya's mom) to do a little shopping at the "mall" next door. It's not as good as the shopping on Shamian Island but it is closer. I bought a few more clothes for Lucy because she only has 1 closetful waiting for her at home! I also bought some adorable yellow patent-leather shoes. Every girl needs at least one pair! I stocked up on a few souvenirs. It really is a blast to negotiate the price. The ironic thing is that we will go back and forth with the sales people over 5 - 10 yuan. Sometimes we will even walk out to get them to come down on the price. Fact is, 10 yuan is equal to about $1.30. It's more about the sport than the money. Sometimes I will just pay the asking price because I am pretty sure these people need the money more than I do.

This afternoon we took the bus to the Consulate in Guangzhou where Lucy received her Visa to travel home to the United States. We had to take an oath that everything on her visa application was correct, then we got her passport back with the Visa attached. As soon as we land in the United States (Chicago) Lucy will be an American citizen. Woohoo!

This evening was challenging. Just when I think we have broken the mommy-barrier we take a step back. We are all tired and hungry and cranky. Yep, all of us. Lucy does not want to have anything to do with me. I have stopped taking it personally, for the most part, but it is very tough when I'm tired and hungry and cranky. One minute she loves me, the next minute she acts like I am evil. I guess this is just preparing me for when she is 13. I expect this will not be my last minor break-down.

I was hoping to get back to the shops on the island this evening for about 30 minutes. I wanted to purchase the items I was going to get yesterday before Christopher's hunger kicked in. Unfortunately I'm not going to make it. I am disappointed because I had my heart set on a couple of items for Lucy, specifically the Jiangxi porcelain doll. I am hoping that maybe there is a waiting Mom our there who might be able to pick up a couple of things at the Ladybug Corner when it is her turn to come to China?? Anyone? Who knows, maybe I can purchase these items on line.

Good news. The Lucy-monster has stopped screaming at me. She is amusing herself in the mirror. Yeah, she knows she's cute.

We leave for Hong Kong at 5:45 in the morning. Yikes. I'm signing off but will continue to journal in Hong Kong. I hear the shopping there is excellent…











No comments:

Post a Comment