Tuesday, July 14, 2009

China-Travel Journal Day 13, November 10, 2005

Travel Journal - Day 13

Day 13. Today was a day of compromise. Chris thought it would be nice to hang out at the hotel today. Maybe go back to Disney, play at the pool and check out the resort. Teresa thought it would be a good idea to do all 25 things on Frommer's list of "Top 25 things to do in Hong Kong." We compromised.

We got off to a leisurely start after our buffet breakfast where we discovered that Miss Lucy can down an entire container of peach yogurt through a straw. We figured out how to take the rail system from Disney (on Lantau Island) to central Hong Kong. Despite Christopher's protests he was very excited to be in the city. It is beautiful. The weather was hot but not too hot, and mostly sunny. The first thing we did was head to Victoria Peak.

We took a tram ride up to the top. It is very beautiful from up there, as you will see by the photos. On the ride up Lucy made many friends. She has a knack for doing this. She will flirt with anyone! Once at the top I discovered shopping. I imagine that I paid a bit more for things than I would have in Guangzhou but it was my last chance to pick up those last few gifts. Chris and Lucy gave me 45 minutes to select my purchases. Then we met up for a quick lunch at the French Café.

After some time at the top we headed back down and took a cab over to the Star Ferry pier. We rode from Hong Kong Island to Kowloon. I think this is a bit like taking the Staten Island Ferry. We thought it would be a fun and cheap way to see the harbour. It was.

Once we got to Kowloon I was shocked to find more shopping! I managed to control myself. We walked along one of the main streets, just to get a feel for things. We saw Gucci and Prada and Yves St. Laurent and Louis Viton and many other of our good friends. I did not tempt myself by going into any of these shops. We did stop briefly at Starbucks for an iced café mocha. As we were heading back to catch he ferry I stopped to barter on one final piece of luggage and 2 knock-off handbags. At least I think they were knock-offs. Is it possible to get two Burberry bags for $15?

Lucy is a magnificent traveler. During all of this she was either sleeping, watching with excitement or flirting with some stranger on a subway, tram car or ferry boat. We are both amazed at how well she has adapted. She is fine in or out of her stroller. And, for the time being, seems to be okay with either Mommy or Daddy.

I could easily have spent many more hours exploring Hong Kong, but for the sake of my marriage I navigated us back onto Disney property by 6:30. We are hanging out trying to get Lucy to sleep so that we can re-pack for tomorrow's journey. We are so excited to see Grandma and Grandpa and Aunt Ann and Uncle Keven and cousin's Simon and Owen and Aunt Mary and Uncle Jeff and cousin Kelsey. And hopefully Aunt Jane and cousin Annie and maybe even a few more relatives. Maybe Uncle Tom and Aunt Maria? Or Uncle Mike and Aunt Deb? We'll see! Fortunately she is very comfortable around large groups of people!

Thank you to everyone who has followed our amazing journey. We have been so blessed by your support, your prayers and your e-mails! Lucy cannot wait to meet all of you. We give much thanks and praise to our Lord Jesus who has guided us on this trip of miracles. To Him we give all of the honor and glory!

See you soon! With love, The De Felice Family












No comments:

Post a Comment